Tuesday, December 9, 2008

SILVER CUP INTERNATIONAL KARATE CHAMPIONSSHIPS 2008


In the middle of August 2008, I attended the SILVER CUP INTERNATIONAL KARATE CHAMPIONSHIPS to support my friend, Grand Master Manny Saavedra, who hosted the event. The directors of the tournament were Kyoshi Arturo Espina and Kyoshi Joe Anon. The event took place at the Sheraton Mart Hotel and Convention center in Miami. I was picked up by GM Saavedra, after I got off the plane at Miami International Airport. After checking into the hotel, we went to the ballroom to watch the competition a little while before we went to dinner. It was an early night.
The main show of the tournament began on Saturday evening with the audience standing up to hear the Our National Anthem "The Star Spangled Banner". With our hands over our hearts in a patriotic fashion, we could hear "Amazing Grace" over the sound system. O0ps! Wrong song! God Bless America!!
At the tournament, I met Nisei Goju Black Belts, Renshi Danny Lemus 5Th Dan, Renshi Kevin Fookes 4Th Dan, and their students. It was nice to see them. Hailing from the USVI of Saint Croix were Nisei Black Belts, Sensei Joshua Espinal 2nd Dan, Sempai Maritza Rijos 2nd Dan, and some of their students. Before I flew down to Florida, I made prearrangements with Kyoshi Pogliani 7th Dan to put on a demonstration at the tournament. At the tournament site, I wished everyone "Peace be onto you" in English, Hebrew and Arabic. When I said it in Arabic, you could hear a pin drop. Out of the silence, you could hear karate champion Kyoshi Abdul Aziz say in a audible voice "wah alai kum salaam". Thanks Abdul. During a break from the fighting Kyoshi Pogliani and I did our demonstration. I performed the Kata Hakutsura of Nisei Goju Ryu. After I did the kata, Kyoshi Jordi Lang and I bend two rebars on the neck of Kyoshi Pogliani. The re bars were two inches in diameter and made of steel. On cue, we walked in with the rebars in our hands and saw them bending, a fantstic feat of power and control requiring great concentration. Thank you Grand Master Saavedra for allowing us to perform.
It was also nice to see former member of Nisei Goju, Herbie Thompson 7th Dan and some his students. I also was stopped by Sensei Renni Whitehead, whom I did not recognized, sorry about that Sensei Whitehead.
Before I left Miami, I was approached by Kyoshi Arturo Espina. He thanked me for attending the events and with a big smile gave me a promotional package for a cruise. I thanked him. After investigating the package, I realized that is was almost impossible to fulfill the requirements of giving three possible weekends dates and three different locations. Thanks Kyoshi but, no thanks.
All in all, I had a nice time seeing some of the old timer of Florida karate as well as well as the future of the NISEI GOJU RYU MARTIAL ARTS SYSTEMS. Thanks you to the Nisei Goju black belts in good standing for supporting the NISEI GOJU HOMBU DOJO in NYC.
Photo above: Sensei Joshua Espinal and Sempai Maritza Rijos(hook swords) from the Virgin Island of St. Croix. Click on photo to enlarge.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there, Roldan, I'm curious as to why no one is following up on their Blogger entries?? I hate reading a well written añd obviously thoughtout piece of non
fiction...to find it cut short and unfinished!
I want to see the tale to it's conclusion...for the time being, that is!
I hope to learn what happened to two Master's who have unfortunately gone on to
the next realm and I hope to learn more about your current life and all that that
entails! Great Luck in this life, Master!
Belinda Chinea.
NYC circa 1972,3,4? ...to present.