Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Black Belt Magazine Cover Nov 1969


Louis Delgado was an icon of the Nisei System. Here, he is on the cover of Black Belt Nov. 69. Having a martial artist of east coast origin on the cover of Black Belt was a rare occurrence back in the day. We were all proud of him as he represented Nisei Goju. I used to watch in awe, as he worked out. Proficient kata man, he was hell of a fighter. He fought all the champions of his day. He even beat Chuck Norris, the lone wolf.
Delgado was one of my martial arts heroes, as well as, the hero many other children who practised martial arts.
Being on the mat with him was fun and educational. A Martial arts legend, I appreciated his advise as a younger brother in the arts. WE WILL MISS HIM. R.I.P

3 comments:

Greg Manwaring said...

Roldan!!!!! My man!! Long time brother! This is Greg, the animator, who taught out of Eddies place in Orlando.

Thanks for posting about Delgado - he looked so awesome on the backyard tapes of Bruce Lee's - the best side kick I have ever seen!!

My best to your wife!

Greg

Joleen Delgado said...

Roldan -
My name is Joleen Delgado. I am Louis Delgado's niece, his brother Felix Delgado's daughter. My uncle has always been very special to me. I am so grateful to see that he is still remembered for his amazing talent as a martial artist. I still have some of his videos as keepsakes. It was touching to have found this site & I just want to thank you for being a part of keeping his memory alive! God Bless You! Feel free to write me & share any experiences you may have had or remember of him.
My Deepest Gratitude,
Joleen Delgado

Clarke said...

I am trying to get in contact with Joleen Delgado.

Please contact Hanshi Roldan.

http://www.niseinyc.com/NISEIMAINPAGE.html