Monday, October 15, 2007

SENSEI BRUCE RUBIN 1947-2003 REMEMBERED


Bruce Rubin was an teacher for the New York City Department of Education, a photographer, master diver (search and rescue), and a SanDan (3rd degree black belt) in the NISEI GOJU SYSTEM.

Bruce was a man of stature. One of the fearless men that traveled all over the world for real knowledge of the places one only dreams about. I could only name few of the place he has visited. Places like Africa, the Middle East, China, and I think Tibet, all sounded fascinating. The momentos his came back home with were totally awesome. One of my favorites was a monkey or human skull with silver and jewels that were inlayed. Some fine work of Art.
He was a great teacher of children, who also taught me some stuff about education. We lost Bruce in 2003. He is survived by his Wife Sondra and daugthers Jennifer and Lily. Here he is with some of his students (Lily is in his right arm) in the old Brewster Dojo of Nick Spennicchia.
We will all miss this gentle giant .

2 comments:

pixichic said...

such a wonderful man with such a big heart. somewhat of a second father to me as i "grew" up with jenn for the better of our teenage years; 'poppy' as bruce called her. he is dearly missed but so warmly remembered. m. johnson

Lily said...

I am probably the luckiest girl in the world... Sensei Rubin was both my Sensei and my dad. I have him to thank for so much, and I also can't thank the Nisei Goju family and Hanshi Roldan for being there for my family. OSU -Lily