Sunday, October 21, 2007

NISEI GOJU TOURNAMENT CIRCA 1971

During the early seventies, GM. Harry Rosenstein (then, future Founder: Kan Zen Goju), sponsered the first of the NISEI tournaments helded at the Regina Center in Brooklyn, New York. This is a group picture of the Nisei Family of that era..

First Row kneeling (left to right):
unknown, Tony Catapano, Louis Jackson, Micheal Di Ramundo, James "Baby Doll" Berry, Rory Calhound, Chester Nathan Cattouse, Raymond Nunez, Marty Manuel.

Second Row (on one knee): Sidney Abraham (behind Jackson), Jose Orjeda, Moses Boone, Kenny Feeman ( behind Manuel)

Third Row (standing): Charles Furillo, Rupert O' Brian,Wilfredo Roldan (present head of NISEI), Frank Fair, Ronald M. Taganashi (then, future Founder: American-Te), Herbie Thompson, Crystal, Earl Monroe, Chaka Zulu (then, future Founder: ZuJitsu Ryu), Joseph Artesi, Irwin Margo (Magician).

Fourth Row (standing head shots): Rudy Winkflied, Tommy Graham, Dan Sullivan, Joe Richardson, Harry Rosenstein, Frank Ruiz (sorry he was looking away), Jerry Gardner.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This picture is really great to see!My father is a Nisei man from back in the 70's. He was brought over to Goju from Kempo by Raymond Nunez. I spent my youth aroun Raymond,Kenny Freeman, Marty Manual, etc. We also have pic's of GM Ruiz, Owen, and Ronnie VanClief in our family album (many from the Olympic Center). It would be great to see more vintage foto's; vitage video clips of tournaments and demo's would also be increadible! Keep up the good work sensei. Ouus

Jimmy said...

My name is Jimmy Carver I traind with Sensei Manuel from the age of 5 till 21 and there never was a better man on this earth..He taught me triditional & Street GoJu and made me a biger man for doing so..I Luv this man with all my heart...Kindbrew609@yahoo.com
JC

Chris C said...

Great Photo.

I trained Nisei Goju under Sensei Joe Richardson in the early 70's. I had the honor of having Sensei Monroe at each of my gradings in Nisei.

Great memories,

Chris Chin

Unknown said...

I trained under kenny Freeman from 1983 to 1990 in Audubon New Jersey was the best learned GoJU with 3 best friends Kenny was incredible teacher

Unknown said...

OSS! Sensei Louis Jackson was my teacher (st.croix USVI), for a short time. I couldn’t participate for long due to parental duties, and a move to the states. I did go on to study other forms of Martial Arts, and have been complimented on some foundational skills I learned from him. I’m visiting Okinawa right now; the birth place of Karate, and thought of him. So cool to see this photo from the year I was born. 🙏🏽