Friday, June 19, 2015

Remembering Grand Master Frank Ruiz Founder of Nisei Goju Ryu



June 20, 2015 is the 20th Anniversary of the death of our beloved Grandmaster Frank Ruiz (Founder:Nisei Goju Original Style), Student of Grandmaster Peter Urban(Founder: USA/Urban Goju).  In 1969 Grandmaster Ruiz was struck by a car traveling at the speed of 80 miles an hour while changing a tire on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway.      There was almost dead silence as we waited to hear about his condition. We thought we were going to lose him. The doctors were puzzled and could not understand why he was still alive. Grand Master cheated death with a distinctive style. His will to live kept him in the struggle of his life. Ruiz with a multitude of injuries, survived, and after a number of year on cructhes, discarded them and walked. I was honored to be part of his rehabilitation as his uke.  Soon after, some of the high ranking members abandoned the system to start their own stlye with their own name.  We wish them all the very best with their styles.  However, there are those who use the Nisei Goju moniker claiming to be the original style and/or those persons who have recognized another person as a grand master in the style after the passing of the grand master.  A friend once told me that if a person lies enough times, some will come to believe them.  One of my teachers once told me to lie to the liars.  I did not take his advice.  There are many versions of a lie but only one version of the truth.  If an instructor lies to his students about their art, what else are they lying about. We believe that usurpers are not impostors, just want be Nisei Goju persons, no matter who recognized them.  
Photo 1: Official Karate Cover April 1972
32 shots to the neck. ouch!!
Photo 2: A plaque I received from Grand Master Ruiz,  It reads:     
"Presented to 
WILFREDO ROLDAN 
For being my legs the three years I spent on crutches, I thank you and all the Black Belts in the sytem thank you.
I could have not made it without you.  
Love,
FRANK RUIZ, SHIHAN
1973"
I served my grand master well!! 

REST IN PEACE GRAND MASTER RUIZ, 
I GOT YOUR BACK!!!!


1 comment:

Dppg said...

God Bless You Roldan, and thank you for kindness, love, and life.